Main Forum
Page
of 4

Movie Recommendations

37 replies
Since we have a whole forum dedicated to books, I figured let's get a movie thread out there!

So the mrs. and I just saw 12 Years a Slave. Excellent flick, great acting and what a story. Never seems to amaze me how power can make man so evil. Even though this was in the past it just brings to light all of the atrocities going on in today's world.

On a lighter note, did take the kids to see Frozen and Lego movie the past few weeks, both are a home run for families. The double decker sofa in lego movie is gonna be LEGEND!!! lol
Warrior: Fenixs, Grega Lanew, Randy-Savage, Zusik, Hulk-amania
Inquisitor: Fenax,, Fentanyyl, Zuzzaz, Helen Keller
Agent: Fenuxs, Kaalluuss, Purrpetrator, Vikeodin
Bounty Hunter: Fenex, Bolliba. Payme Now, Bollob, Morefeen

Jedi Knight: Digregorio, Rey Solowalker, Athena Forss, Kasaa'phy
Jedi Consular: Fenyxx, Seth Rollinz, Marahh Jade, Zizzazzuz
Trooper: Fenikz, Ava Jaxxo, Orehh, Oreen, Purr'cocet
Smuggler: Fenoxs, Hyydro Codone, Obi-tuary, Paddmay

Dromund Kaas- Fenixs Lair of Shadows, Nar Shaddaa- Fenixs Chamber of Deception, Tatooine Fenixs Marketplace Cantina, Yavin 4- Fenixs Chamber of Truth, Rishi- Fenis Pirate Roost, Coruscant- Fexis Jedi Academy, Manaan- Fenixs Republic Sanctuary
Posted Mar 16, 14 · OP · Last edited May 20, 14
Seems there's always SOME demographic being fucked over and exploited, no matter what time period. I am willing to concede that slavery is maybe somewhat worse than anything I've ever had to endure, though. Heh. Haven't seen 12 Years a Slave yet, but looking forward to that one.

The Conjuring finally came out on TV (Cinemax, 2 nights ago) and I recorded the HELL out of that shit! I like horror movies and I hear this is one of the rare good ones. Looking forward to it... I haven't watched it yet cuz I'm savoring the anticipation... not cuz I'm a-scared! I swear, say Boyz 2 Men!
144dbcd1f0595fab.png
Posted Mar 16, 14
Movies that I'll pay to see in theater this year unless the advance reviews are beyond bad:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Godzilla
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Edge of Tomorrow
Jupiter Ascending
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar

(Remember the dark days of yore when you'd maybe have one or two big-budget sci-fi movies in a given year, and a comic book movie once in a very blue moon?)
Posted Mar 16, 14
Guardians of the Galaxy looks like the bomb, but I'm satisfied just watching that awesome trailer over and over and...

Saw the Godzilla trailer, finally, and think it actually looks decent. I haaaaaated the Matthew Broderick one. Haaaaaated it.
144dbcd1f0595fab.png
Posted Mar 16, 14
wrote:
On a lighter note, did take the kids to see Frozen and Lego movie the past few weeks, both are a home run for families. The double decker sofa in lego movie is gonna be LEGEND!!! lol

Both the those movies were excellent! We (the wife and I) recently saw "300: Rise of an Empire" and can honestly say that we were disappointed. The blood/gore was a bit too over-the-top, even for the stylized violence (Anime levels of blood for every wound). The "sex scene" was very awkward (especially sitting next to my wife) and didn't really make a whole lot of sense. And the characters were mostly forgettable (I didn't really care what happened to any of them). The action itself was okay and I liked the fact the storyline ran concurrently with the original "300". I probably would have liked it more as a Redbox Blu-ray rental.

The wife and I are looking forward to the next Captain America movie as well as checking out 47 Ronin when it released on Blu-ray.
a9d785dd6b2db6b6.png
Posted Mar 17, 14
An oldie, I know, but Dragon mentioned a song from Watchmen and I've been listening to the soundtrack... again. This is some of the greatest music ever produced: Nat King Cole, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, KC and the Sunshine Band, etc. Aside from one of the greatest collections of music, this is one of my all-time fave movies.
144dbcd1f0595fab.png
Posted Mar 20, 14
I watched Turbo, today, and liked it. The soundtrack was also very good. Classic Hip Hop, Jackson5, etc.
144dbcd1f0595fab.png
Posted Mar 20, 14
wrote:
Watchmen
Snyder did a really good job with that one. I would have kept the ending from the book, though. I disagree with the reasons he gave for changing it. Could have done it, they just pussied out on it.
Posted Mar 20, 14
What was the real ending? I never learned...
144dbcd1f0595fab.png
Posted Mar 21, 14
Veidt/Ozymandias built an artificial giant dead alien that he then teleported into New York, killing millions with a psychic shockwave but bringing about the end of the tension between the US/USSR, as the world banded together to face this (fake) alien threat. Veidt had killed the Comedian in the beginning, kicking off the entire story, for finding out about the alien while it was under construction.

This was the exact plot of an old Outer Limits episode called "The Architects of Fear"--a scientist played by Robert Culp is made into an alien monster to frighten the world into allying against a nonexistent threat of invasion, in order to end the Cold War.

The Watchmen comic explicitly cops to this--there's a scene near the end where the former Night Owl and Silk Spectre are visiting Sally Jupiter at her old folks home, and on the TV she's watching "The Architects of Fear" as they talk about their future plans. It goes hand-in-hand with the whole deconstructional/metafictional deal that Moore has going on throughout the book--see, this was all the recycled plot of an old cheesy TV show, too, wink wink nudge nudge.

This exact same scene is still in the movie, right down to the TV playing "The Architects of Fear", but it's forehead-slappingly stupid there because it has a completely different context--the Watchmen movie plot no longer really follows "The Architects of Fear". It's like Snyder slavishly continued following the visual elements without understanding their intended meaning.

This alteration ripples throughout the movie from beginning to end, starting from Veidt's reason to kill the Comedian. In the book there's no energy crisis because Dr. Manhattan solved that for the world decades earlier--in fact in the 1980s all cars are already electric as they're shown starting to be at the end of the movie. This is the reason why Hollis Mason's (the original Night Owl) auto repair shop doesn't get any business and why he's just a broke retiree with nothing to do--no more gas powered cars. Again the movie kept Mason and his shop but there's no longer a valid reason why he's broke and unhappy and his auto shop not getting business.

There are lots of points like this throughout, where it no longer makes actual sense as it did originally. It even changes much of the meaning of Rorschach's death, which although is generally the same--he's still going to expose the conspiracy, and Dr. Manhattan still kills him to prevent it--takes on a whole different vibe with them making Dr. Manhattan the framed villain.

Considering how radically it was changed, it's actually surprising the movie still works as well as it does and is still faithful to most of the book. Snyder did a great job with the rest of it. Masterful, really. Masterful enough that it's clear to me that he could have pulled off the original ending.

The book ending is extremely graphic--there are about a dozen pages of panels silently showing literally piles of corpses throughout the streets of New York, which are running red with rivers of blood. It was apparently this that was too much for what they considered audiences could handle, and they also thought that the giant-monster thing was simultaneously too cheesy for audiences to process.

Privately I've always thought that the whole scene would be too evocative and loaded in the post-9/11 world, and that's what really changed their minds about doing it. But I have zero proof for that hypothesis.
Posted Mar 21, 14
Page
of 4
NoticeNotices