Main Forum
Page
of 4

Movie Recommendations

37 replies
Great rundown / comparison of the movie/graphic novel, Sev.

I just re-watched the original Old Boy and another movie by the same Actor/Writer combo:I saw the devil.

These are definitely not movies for kids as the violence can be pretty graphic...but i do recommend checking them out if you get a chance. Don't read too far into the links if you want to enjoy the twists.

The actor, Choi Min-sik, is sublime and is breaking into American films in a (marvel unrelated) hero movie starring Scar Jo called Lucy. (directed by Luc Besson)

--Skip the new Old Boy remake by Spike Lee..it starts off ok-ish and starts sucking really fast.
I R SQUEAK
Posted Mar 21, 14 · Last edited Mar 21, 14
I had the original in my Netflix queue for a few months and never got around to it. Then the other night I was flipping through On Demand and saw the remake so I watched it and thought it was a little over the top - disturbing but forgettable. I wasn't going to bother ever watching the original after seeing this one but now maybe I will.
Posted Mar 21, 14
It's light years better.
Posted Mar 21, 14
Lady Vengeance is a great movie too, most definitely also not for children.

"Too much consistency is as bad for the mind as it is for the body. Consistency is contrary to nature, contrary to life. The only completely consistent people are the dead." ~ Aldous Huxley
Posted Mar 21, 14
I believe that Lady Vengeance and Oldboy are part of a trilogy (of revenge)... i havent seen all of them though.

Edit: i googled it, and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance is the first of the trilogy.
I R SQUEAK
Posted Mar 21, 14
Yep they are. :) I never watched the first one and watched Lady Vengeance before I watched OldBoy. lol

"Too much consistency is as bad for the mind as it is for the body. Consistency is contrary to nature, contrary to life. The only completely consistent people are the dead." ~ Aldous Huxley
Posted Mar 21, 14
Nochnoy dozor (Night Watch) and Dnevnoy dozor (Day Watch). Two Russian movies based on a trilogy of books by Sergei Lukyanenko. It's kinda like Blade meets X-men mixed up with a gritty Blade Runner environment (feeling, not the look). There are some really cool things and some horribly cheesy things, but they were definitely different and highly entertaining. I haven't gotten around to reading the books yet, but I intend to.
75fa90d5089bed2b.png
Posted Mar 21, 14
Excellent post; thank you so much for sharing, Sev.
144dbcd1f0595fab.png
Posted Mar 21, 14
Cal
the Blood of Heroes

this is a good flick, little 'B' movie
Every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.
Posted Mar 22, 14
Saw The Winter Soldier last night. It's getting great fanboy reviews, but it kind of fell flat for me. It's hard to say why. My recommendation would be to rent it.
Posted Apr 4, 14
Page
of 4
NoticeNotices