Main Forum
Page
of 4

Movie Recommendations

37 replies
Edge of Tomorrow: Surprisingly good! If you read the book, they threw out almost everything from it, and it actually ended up being a much better movie that way, I thought. Which I hardly ever do.

Godzilla: If you didn't see Godzilla by now, don't. Just rent it and skip to the last 30 minutes, which makes up for the first hour and 45.
Posted Jun 7, 14
Love these threads... new the boards/been in guild for a bit.

I'd recommend "Gravity"... especially if you have a great watching setup. I was blown away by the feelings felt when watching it. Imagining being up there during the wide shots with the Earth in the background took my breath away.

Also, I'll mention a new documentary I caught a few weeks ago called "Term's and Conditions May Apply". Caught it on Netflix and it's pretty good. Honestly, it may surprise some people. I do feel everyone should be educated about stuff like this though.
Posted Jul 2, 14 · Last edited Jul 2, 14
I was born in '77, so this might be a generational thing. I wasn't EXACTLY a Calvin, but I was definitely a daydreamer and I did do some stupid, reckless things with complete disregard for the consequences. At any rate, I was a huge fan of Calvin and Hobbes, a comic strip written by Bill Watterson. If you're a Calvin and Hobbes fan, I recommend the documentary, "Dear Mr. Watterson." It was surprisingly insightful and I now have a greater understanding and even greater respect for Mr. Watterson, who expected (and even demanded) more from himself, his audience, newspapers, and his fellow artists than was perhaps reasonable in a gradually dwindling newspaper market.
144dbcd1f0595fab.png
Posted Jul 2, 14
I just watched "Dear Mr. Watterson" on Netflix this past week. Nevin Martell, who is interviewed in the film has a book that the two really could be companions to each other, it covers a lot of the same stuff. I grew up with those same Calvin and Hobbes books. As an Ohioian by birth, upbringing and education, when I left the state I made it a point to go to Chagrin Falls, to Fireside Books and buy a copy of the Complete Calvin and Hobbes. The film compares Watterson to some other legendary comic artists, but, to be honest, I think he's at the top of the list. From the art work which is unmatched to the downright philosophical and existential ideas and questions brought up by a boy and a tiger are second to none.
Posted Jul 8, 14
Some new films for me:

I just saw sci-fi film Under the Skin with Scar Jo as an alien.
Its not your typical film: Sparse Dialog and no plot hand holding. The imagery and music are haunting, as is the core subject matter...
I can't really go into the plot as you should just see it for yourself (if you like your film slightly outside the mainstream formula)

I was reminded of this film( Upstream Color ) while watching Under the Skin. They share the same film making formula, or rather lack of Hollywood formula.
Both are also sci-fi and rely more on the showing than than the telling.
Enjoy =)
I R SQUEAK
Posted Jul 8, 14
I just watched "Jodorowsky's Dune" and cannot recommend it highly enough. Whether you're a Dune fan or not, doesn't matter. Just great.
Posted Jul 21, 14
2 of my top 10 movies that I always recommend;

1- Meet Joe Black - Has my favorite actor in it, Anthony Hopkins and arguably Brad Pitt's Best performance. The plot is basically that "Death" has been doing his killing thing for forever (literally) and gets bored with it and wants to know what it is like to be alive (human). So Death temporarily spares the life of a self-made billionaire to find out the hardships that people got through.

It will make you laugh, it will make you cry and will make you want to wish you lived in a mansion. See it.

2- The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus - Filmed at the same time of The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger's last movie. Dark twisted, sci-fi drama in which The Devil and Dr. Parnassus fight for the redemption or damnation of peoples' souls.

I'd go more into the plot, but I don't need to say anything more except for the cast.

Heath Ledger, Jude Law, Colin Farrell & Johnny Depp.

Yeah, you're gunna see it now.

That's what I thought.
Posted Jul 22, 14
Imaginarium = Terry Gilliam Film= Win
Also, Tom Waits as the devil = win.
I R SQUEAK
Posted Jul 24, 14
wrote:
Some new films for me:

I just saw sci-fi film Under the Skin with Scar Jo

So I watched this because you listed it. All I can say is
Spoiler: Show
Posted Jul 24, 14
wrote:
wrote:
Some new films for me:

I just saw sci-fi film Under the Skin with Scar Jo

So I watched this because you listed it. All I can say is
Spoiler: Show

I thought thats what this movie was about ;)
I R SQUEAK
Posted Jul 27, 14
Page
of 4
NoticeNotices