Main Forum
Page
of 13

Recipes

120 replies
Like I said in my introduction, I like to cook and may post some recipes from time to time. To start things of I thought I I would post one of my favorite dips. Here in Texas (and a few of the surrounding states) we have a restaurant named Chuy's, and their Jalapeno Ranch dip is one of their more popular items. I set out to recreate it since I Ioved it myself, and now everyone loves me for being able to bring it to parties. Keep in mind with my Recipes that if I list something by brand name it is usually for good reason. You can use something else if you choose, but most of the time I have already done so and found out it didn't taste as good. Anyway, here is the recipe.

Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
• 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix (You could replace this with a homemade version. Do not use dressing mix.)
• 1 fresh jalapeno (seeded)
• 3/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers, chips (Use Mezzetta Tamed Jalapenos for mild or Trappey’s if you like it really hot)
• a handful of cilantro (about 4-6 sprigs to start and work your way up to taste)
• garlic powder to taste (I used about 2 teaspoons)
• 1 tablespoon of lime juice (approx. ½ lime)
• generous pinch of salt (optional)

Blend everything, but the salt, together until pretty well liquefied. Taste and add more cilantro and lime if needed. Taste again and add salt if needed, but most of the time I add none.
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jun 5, 12 · OP
Homemade Chili Powder

1 ounce of dried ancho peppers/chiles
2 Tbs Mrs. Dash
1 ounce of store bought chili powder
1 tsp of oregano
5 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp white pepper

Seed the ancho peppers as best you can. Place them in a food processor and pulverize the crap out of them. you want to ground to almost dust but with my food processor i can never get it there, but I do generally let the processor run for at least 10 minutes. My processor is older though so your may can do it faster and better. After that you mix in the other stuff and just stir it or put it in a bag and shake it all together. Whatever you feel.

Yes, there is store bought chili powder in the recipe but oh well...LOL. It's just to help bulk it out with a lot less work. This is good for making Chili of course, but you can also use it to lightly season some types of fish (I have used it on Tilapia very lightly.) It's also good for rubbing on chicken and to season up some sweet potato fries. That's right, sweet potato fries along with a healthy dash of salt. Hope you enjoy. I may post the Chili recipe that goes along with this. I have two chili's, one for eating by itself or a mean Frito pie, the other is a copy cat from Der Weinerschnitzel for hot dogs and putting on tamales.
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jun 7, 12 · OP · Last edited Jun 7, 12
Chili by the Bowl

This makes a pretty good sized pot of chili so I hope you are hungry.

Meat Marination (Is that a word?) Process

4 ½ - 5 lbs of Beef (I like to use a combination of chili ground and stew meat for a different variation in texture)
1 Tbs Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
2 Tbs of Homemade Chili Powder

Mix all together and let sit for at least 30 minutes to an hour, best if you can do it over night.

Chili Ingredients

3 Tbs Olive Oil (For cooking the veggie in)
2 Medium-sized onions - Diced (I like to use red, but whatever you want)
2 Large Bell Peppers - Diced
5 Cloves of Garlic (Minced)
6 Tbs of Homemade Chili Powder
1 Tbs Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (I recommend Hershey brand)
2 Tbs Powdered Sugar
3 Tbs Paprika
½ bottle Wyler’s beef granules (do not use bouillon cubes)
½ tsp of cayenne pepper (more if you like it really spice, less if you don’t like spicey)
Dash of Cinnamon (I never really measure it out I just shake the bottle a few times)
Pinch of Nutmeg (Again I don’t measure it I just grate some whole nutmeg on a Microplane and toss it in)
2 bottles of beer (Guinness is best, any bock type beer or Dos Equis is good, but do yourself and the rest of the world a favor and Do Not use any type of Light beer, especially Bud Light)
Masa Flour (if you can’t find Masa Flour use Corn Starch, they are almost the same thing)

Directions

Heat your olive oil up a bit and toss in the onion, bell peppers and garlic. Cook on High heat until the onion is clear. Throw in the meat and cook until browned.

Pour the beer in and add the chili powder, cocoa, powdered sugar, paprika, beef granules, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir well and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally.

Mix 3 Tbs Masa flour/Corn starch with 1/3 cup of hot water and add to chili while stirring. This is to thicken up the chili. Stir very well.

Taste and add any of the dry ingredients above and/or salt for your desired palate. (Chances are you won’t need to.) Add more cayenne pepper if you want it hotter.

Simmer for another 30 minutes and check for consistency. If you want it thicker, add more Masa Flour/Corn Starch straight up, carefully, while stirring continuously.
Your chili is ready.

Now, you might be thinking "Powdered sugar? Cocoa? Cinnamon and nutmeg? This chilli is going to be way too sweet." But trust me, it is not. My Dad had won a couple of local Chili Cook Offs years ago with this recipe before my recent addition of nutmeg and changing the beer used to Guinness, and he thinks it is even better now. Try it out and see what you think. This is especially good during the winter months since cinnamon goes along with the holidays.

1290415.jpg
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jun 7, 12 · OP · Last edited Dec 12, 12
This recipes look great. Although I find the lack of bacon diss appointing.

Bacon is the greatest ingredient ever made

There's got to be a way to put some bacon somewhere in there :)
Posted Jun 7, 12
LOL...if you want bacon by all means put it in there. It might even be a good idea to cook you bacon in the pot to render its fat and then use the bacon grease to cook the veggies in instead of using olive oil. Then you can crumble the bacon and add it back in for the second round of simmering. This is similar to what I do for Shepherd's Pie except that I put the bacon into the mashed potatoes. Shepherd's Pie recipe coming soon.
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jun 7, 12 · OP
Der Weinerschnitzel's Chili
This one is for hot dogs, topping tamales, or even Frito pie as well. For an awesome hot dog, buy some of the cheapest sliced cheese you can get. Kroger has this Cheese Melt that comes in slices which is the best way to make it.

Ingredients

¾ lb of ground beef
¼ lb of ground pork (Essential for flavor)
6 cups of water
¼ cup cornstarch
½ cup Wondra flour
6-ounce can tomato paste (only use about 5 ounces unless you like a strong tomato flavor)
¼ cup chili powder (McCormick Brand, not the Homemade Chili Powder)
3 tbs white vinegar
1 tbs salt
1 tbs dried minced onion
1 ½ tsp granulated sugar
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp black pepper

Directions

1. Brown Ground beef and ground pork in a large saucepan over medium heat. Crumble and chop the meat with a spoon or spatula as it cooks. When the meat is completely browned cover saucepan and turn heat to low. This way the ground meat will slowly simmer in its own juices

2. After 10 minutes, remove the ground meat from the heat and drain off most of the fat. Keep some of it in the pan.

3. While the meat is still off the heat add the water and the cornstarch to pan whisk the cornstarch thoroughly as its added until it’s dissolved into the water. Do the same for the Wondra flour.

4. You can now set the pan back over medium heat and add the remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often.

5. When the chili begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Makes 6 cups.
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jun 8, 12 · OP · Last edited Jun 8, 12
Yum! Sounds like your a good cook, bet everyone wants to go to your place.
Aveyn - Blood Elf Paladin
Malixa - Blood Elf Warlock
aok-sketch.deviantart.com
Posted Jun 8, 12
I'm definitely trying the chili
Posted Jun 8, 12
Which one though? There are two recipes there...LOL.
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jun 8, 12 · OP
Shepherd’s Pie

Ingredients

• 4 large potatoes , peeled (I like to roughly peel them leaving a little skin) and cubed
• 1 Onion finely chopped with 1 Tbs divided off for the potatoes (I like to use red)
• ½ Cup Shredded cheese; divided into two ¼ cup sizes, a bit more cheese never hurts (I use Dubliner for this recipe since it’s from Ireland and gives the dish authentic flair, but cheddar will work as well)
• 1 Pound of lean ground beef ( I have used 80/20 grass fed beef and 90/10 beef and the 80/20 grass fed actually rendered less grease)
• 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
• 1/8 cup Allegro Marinade (Found close to the BBQ sauce usually for those who don’t know what that is)
• 8-10 bag frozen peas and carrots (thawed)
• 1 Brown gravy mix packet
• 1 Cup warm water (for the gravy packet)
• 3-4 Strips of Bacon
• 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
• 1 Tbs Ketchup
• 2 Tbs all purpose flour
• Butter, a little milk, salt and pepper for the potatoes

Directions

Mix the Worcestershire and Allegro together and add to the beef. Mix and let marinate while you do the potatoes.

Boil Potatoes until just tender and ready for some beating up (aka mashing). Drain potatoes. Throw in some butter and a little milk and use you beater, if you have one, to mash the potatoes up a little and mix in the butter and milk. Add the 1 Tbs finely chopped onion, ¼ cup of cheese, and salt and pepper and beat some more. Set aside. You will add some crumbled bacon to this later. Preheat your oven to 375 F.

In a skillet, cook the bacon till it renders a good deal of its fat. Set Bacon to the side. While bacon grease is still hot (add some vegetable oil if you think you need a little more grease) add the rest of your onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook until onion is clear. Add the beef and cook till browned. Pour off any excess fat and then stir in the 2 Tbs flour and cook for 1 minute. Mix 1 cup warm water and brown gravy mix and pour into the meat along with the 1 Tbs ketchup. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Crumble the bacon in a plastic bag and stir into the mashed potatoes. Spread the beef evenly on the bottom of a casserole dish (2 qt size I think). Pour the thawed bag of peas and carrots over the meat. Add the mashed potatoes on top and then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the potatoes.

Bake in Preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are slightly golden brown. Sometimes I bake it for the 20 minutes and then set to broil and broil it while watching to make sure it doesn’t burn to make sure I get that crispy top.
Let cool for a few minutes and then serve.
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jun 8, 12 · OP
Page
of 13
NoticeNotices