Main Forum
Page
of 13

Recipes

120 replies
Is it just me or did those blue puppet things seem super creepy...no wonder kids have fears of monsters under their beds. LOL

And this stuff you definitely would not want to put straight up in your mouth. That would not be good at all. Trust me though, it is safe to use.
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jun 20, 12 · OP · Last edited Jun 20, 12
Heh, I remember that public service... molesting? Advisement? Yeah, I saw it back in the day. What an incredibly unwelcome flashback.
144dbcd1f0595fab.png
Posted Jun 20, 12
Kreep wrote:
Heh, I remember that public service... molesting? Advisement? Yeah, I saw it back in the day. What an incredibly unwelcome flashback.

You're welcome.

"Too much consistency is as bad for the mind as it is for the body. Consistency is contrary to nature, contrary to life. The only completely consistent people are the dead." ~ Aldous Huxley
Posted Jun 20, 12
Southern Cornbread

Cooking Spray

1 Large Egg

1 1/3 cups Whole Milk

1/4 cup Vegetable Oil

2 cups Corn Meal

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Coat cast iron skillet with cooking spray. Place skillet in in oven for 7-8 minutes or until hot.

Beat egg in med bowl. Stir in milk, oil, and cornmeal until smooth. Batter should be creamy. Pour into prepared skillet.

Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Posted Jun 26, 12
Krovas wrote:
Coat cast iron skillet with cooking spray.

A preheated cast iron skillet is essential for awesome cornbread. It helps give the bottom a nice crispy crust. Of course you can make it in a regular pan, but the skillet it best.
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jun 26, 12 · OP
On another note, I should have noted that this thread is not just for me to post recipes. Feel free to follow Krovas' example and post your recipes for people to try out. Unless of course you are all super secret ninja chefs that can be put to the sword for releasing your classified culinary creations (alliteration intended).
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jun 26, 12 · OP · Last edited Jun 27, 12
Thank You :) I Plan to try this yummy corn bread on Sunday..
e8301889adab31c5.png
Posted Jun 27, 12
Party Pretzels

1 - bag of pretzels
1/2 c. Canola Oil
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix (Not Ranch Dressing Mix)
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. cayenne pepper. (More if you like it hot)

Mix the oil, spices, & ranch dip mix in a cup with a wisk.
Put the pretzels in a large container that has a lid. Pour the mixture over and shake to get the pretzels coated.

I like to let it sit for at least 2 hours before we eat so the oil mixture dries up some. These is really easy to make and super addictive (to me anyway).
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jul 11, 12 · OP
Tandroz wrote:
Chuy’s Creamy Jalapeno Dip
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
• 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix (You could replace this with a homemade version. Do not use dressing mix.)
• 1 fresh jalapeno (seeded)
• 3/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers, chips (Use Mezzetta Tamed Jalapenos for mild or Trappey’s if you like it really hot)
• a handful of cilantro (about 4-6 sprigs to start and work your way up to taste)
• garlic powder to taste (I used about 2 teaspoons)
• 1 tablespoon of lime juice (approx. ½ lime)
• generous pinch of salt (optional)

Blend everything, but the salt, together until pretty well liquefied. Taste and add more cilantro and lime if needed. Taste again and add salt if needed, but most of the time I add none.

I have modifications. I found giant jalapenos at H-E-B and decided to use one for this recipe since I love fresh jalapeno. Problem is that it adds too much fresh jalapeno flavor to the dip. Also, this dip is way better if you make it the day before you need it. Still good if made the same day, but the flavors meld overnight to make it better. Also, 2/3 cup of Pickled Jalapenos makes the dip more on the ranch side if you like ranch dip.
709ac5bc381a4b94.png
Posted Jul 25, 12 · OP · Last edited Aug 9, 12
Pecan or Chocolate Pecan Pie

1 (9-inch) pie crust
1-1.5 cups pecan halves
3 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup corn syrup (dark corn syrup, molassas or sorghum, or maple syrup)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla (or 1.5 tbs bourbon)

2-3 ounces melted or chopped semisweet chocolate, optional

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Put the pecans in the unbaked pie crust.

Combine the eggs and melted butter in a large bowl. Add the corn syrup (or one of the listed substitutes), sugar, vanilla (or bourbon) and the chopped chocolate.

Pour mixture over the pecans and bake for 1 hour or until pie is set.

Note: Got this recipe years and years ago from a little old southern lady who said it was a family secret (but she really liked my mom and her own daughters were nasty bitches to the old gal so she gave it to Mom instead.) We were told that the true southern way to make this pie is to use the higher amount of pecans, sorghum or molassas, and bourbon. No chocolate (the chocolate was my idea years later). Mom always made her pecan pies with 1 cup of pecans, regular corn syrup, and vanilla option and they were always awesome. I've never tried the maple syrup variation, but am told that it's different, but very good. Sounds very Canadian, eh?

~Chey
Posted Aug 9, 12
Page
of 13
NoticeNotices