Main Forum
Page
of 15

Book Recommendations

140 replies
I really love Brain Lumley's Necroscope series, Enders game, Song of Fire and Ice, The Lord of the rings books, the Dresden files, and of course all the Star Wars universe books.
1dd522c10f288d7c.png
Posted May 24, 14 · Last edited May 24, 14
wrote:
If anyone is into post-apocalyptic sci-fi, I recently found a really interesting series by Hugh Howey.

It starts with the Wool Omnibus (5 novellas put together length-wise), then Shift Omnibus, and ends with the novel Dust. It basically chronicles a world where nuclear fall-out has made the surface unliveable, so people are clustered inside an underground silo. Unlike a lot of post-apocalypse stuff, this takes place after it's been long enough for people to adjust and forget about their previous lives, so there isn't the immediate danger of survival or violence. However, it does give an interesting look at how authority is asserted over people's individual wills to maintain peace in such a claustrophobic environment: there's almost non-existent violence, tightly controlled birth & death, people are monitored closely for 'deviant' or 'insane' thoughts, etc. etc. You'll discover much more about the controlling structure in the books but to say more would be spoilery.

I highly recommend checking these books out.

So I replied earlier that I'd picked these up but hadn't read them, I just started them over the weekend and I'm almost done w/ the Shift Omnibus - holy shit this is an awesome read. Awesome. Thx
Posted May 28, 14
Found a trilogy on Amazon - ebook only I think - and pretty good. Seems like a first work for author, a little unpolished, but concept is neat to me, and I think good character development. Called the Icarus trilogy, first one is "Murder of Crows". Quick read too.
Posted May 31, 14
I've found several good books (Wool among them) that I might not have picked up on my own through the Sword and Laser bookclub on GoodReads:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4170-the-sword-and-laser

Their May pick, The Martian by Andy Weir, was really good scfi as well. I highly recommend!
Posted Jun 1, 14
wrote:
wrote:
I will second The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

2nd book, A Wise Man's Fear is also out, have not gotten to it yet...

The second book was awesome - I cannot wait for the third to come out ...

just finished the first one and loved it, looking forward to this second one.
Posted Jun 12, 14
I've been plodding through "Abraham Lincoln in the Kitchen: A Culinary View of Lincoln's Life and Times." It's pretty interesting, although I think I would have gotten more out of it if I were more interested in Lincoln's life. I think that the author over-quotes some of her sources though, so I could be reading (or skimming, as they're cookbooks) those instead and probably coming away with the same view of what food was like during those times. But if you're interested in presidents, Lincoln, or that time period, it might be a good read.
5c7042a4dcab063f.png
Posted Jul 2, 14
A few months ago a friend brought to my attention a sci-fi series collectively called "The Expanse". It's planned to be nine books, of which the fourth has just been published. It's Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War, Abbadon's Gate, and Cibola Burn. It's by James S.A. Corey, which is a pseudonym for two guys who collaborate. I think this "guy" also did a Star Wars novel recently.

Anyway, it's good. Not like brilliant Hugo-winning good, but real good. If you liked Firefly, then you'll really dig this. It has a similar vibe to it--a small tight-knit crew of well-drawn characters plying the solar system in their corvette-sized ship, getting entangled with the politics of the day and massive conspiracies and unfathomable alien technologies and so on.

It's been optioned by SyFy as a series, and is in early pre-production. The comparison being made is to Game of Thrones--they apparently intend it to be a big budget multi-season adaptation and a quality tentpole property like Battlestar Galactica was for them.

I'm dubious about that, as SyFy's track record since BSG ended hasn't been stellar. But it'd be a shame if they screwed it up, as it's really quite good.
Posted Jul 2, 14
The Expanse Series is absolutely great. I burnt through the first two books just in time for the third one to come out. I was under the impression that it'd just be a trilogy. Amped to hear that I was wrong. I'll start reading the fourth book as soon as I'm done with Stephen King's Under the Dome. I'd recommend that to anyone too. It's a lengthy read, and there are a lot of character to keep track, but Stephen King has more hits than misses, that's for sure. Also, 11/22/63 is another one of King's I'd recommend.
Posted Jul 8, 14
I haven't read it yet but i see a lot of people recommending the WOOL series.. just to let you know if you don't have it yet kobo has it for free with the following coupon WOOLBAKKA at checkout.. not sure how long it will last....
Posted Jul 9, 14
WOOL noted for future reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Omnibus-Edition-Silo-Saga-ebook/dp/B0071XO8RA
Posted Jul 9, 14
Page
of 15
NoticeNotices