Main Forum
Page
of 15

Book Recommendations

141 replies
Not sure what to throw in here...other than adding some of the classics like 'Lord of The Rings' and 'The Hobbit' as books that I read and enjoy folks have pretty much stated things that I am reading, or have read. Decent site I have found is goodreads.com, in which you make a profile, and then find more books that might suit your tastes depending on what you choose in your profile creation.
Posted Aug 12, 12
Skaris wrote:
Not sure what to throw in here...other than adding some of the classics like 'Lord of The Rings' and 'The Hobbit' as books that I read and enjoy folks have pretty much stated things that I am reading, or have read. Decent site I have found is goodreads.com, in which you make a profile, and then find more books that might suit your tastes depending on what you choose in your profile creation.

... I don't know why but I put in all the books I have read into that site and it keeps trying to say I like fantasy books like lord of the rings and assasins quest? WTF? I like sci-fi not fantasy.
Posted Aug 12, 12
I have never heard of that site but I'm totes gonna try it out. And I also think that typically most people that like Sci-fi like fantasy and visa versa. Although I'm not a huge sci-fi person.
Posted Aug 12, 12 · OP
That is odd. I have a huge selection of Sci-Fi, fantasy, Graphic novels and Suspense novels on my lists. Mimd you, they seem to cross class a good number of their books....based on some....kind....of a system?
Posted Aug 16, 12
I kinda like that site. It gave me a few book ideas.
Posted Aug 16, 12 · OP
Aight, gonna try some Fantasy.. Reading "The Silmarillion" (prequel to LOTR) cause I did enjoy reading the LOTR Quadrilogy. First page seems interesting, will update as I get through the first couple chapters, and let you guys know what I think.
Posted Aug 22, 12
Denlaiger wrote:
Aight, gonna try some Fantasy.. Reading "The Silmarillion" (prequel to LOTR) cause I did enjoy reading the LOTR Quadrilogy. First page seems interesting, will update as I get through the first couple chapters, and let you guys know what I think.

I love fantasy and love the 4 books of the Lord of the Rings series, but I couldn't stand Silmarillion. I found out later it wasn't "written" so much as after JRR Tolkein died, then his son took a bunch of dad's notes and mangled them into a hot mess of a book.
0860f6e34ca87402.png
Everything happens for a reason. But sometimes that reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
Posted Aug 22, 12
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Good luck, I didn't make it through either. There are some stories that would be really awesome, but I just can't stand the way they're written. Dracula is a good example. The Wheel of Time series is another. I like the characters, and the setting and the events, but eventually I got to the point where I wished he'd stop talking about furniture and move the plot forward already.

The other one I love to hate is Dean Koontz. He sets everything up great, gets you really interested in the story and then he pulls a deus ex machina ending out of his ass that ruins the whole book. The Frankenstein one wasn't so bad, just weird and unrelated. Everything up to that WTF point was awesome. After reading the Taking, I'm not falling for it anymore. I prefer authors who don't paint themselves into corners and who know how to bring a story to a close.
75fa90d5089bed2b.png
Posted Aug 22, 12
I could eat up any book written by Terry Pratchett with a spoon =) I just loaned Calihye my copy of "Night Watch" that I hope she enjoys as much as I did. Sam Vimes is my man-crush.

"Sam Vimes felt like a class traitor every time he wore it. He hated being thought of as one of those people that wore stupid ornamental armour. It was gilt by association."
0860f6e34ca87402.png
Everything happens for a reason. But sometimes that reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
Posted Aug 22, 12
I love anything LOTR. I haven't read the Silmarillion, so I can't really say. I haven't started Bitter's book yet, but It's my next to read. I shared one with him since he let me borrow this one. I gave Him One For The Money by Janet Evanovich.
Posted Aug 24, 12 · OP
Page
of 15
NoticeNotices