Main Forum
Page
of 15

Book Recommendations

141 replies
Bitter wrote:
Denlaiger wrote:
Aight, gonna try some Fantasy.. Reading "The Silmarillion" (prequel to LOTR) cause I did enjoy reading the LOTR Quadrilogy. First page seems interesting, will update as I get through the first couple chapters, and let you guys know what I think.

I love fantasy and love the 4 books of the Lord of the Rings series, but I couldn't stand Silmarillion. I found out later it wasn't "written" so much as after JRR Tolkein died, then his son took a bunch of dad's notes and mangled them into a hot mess of a book.

His son and a ghost writer I think, if I read the news piece on that when it was done. Hasn't gotten good reviews from the 'pros', but some friends of mine enjoyed it. Think you have to read all of the books and stories that lead up to Silmarillion in order. explains a lot. I will try and find those and post them here.
Posted Aug 25, 12
So I forgot to mention earlier that I have started The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. It's good so far. A friend of mine recommended The Lovely Bones which is also written by her. I found this other book by her and decided to read it. It's good in a depressing sort of way. It's not as bad as White Oleander, but it's certainly not a happy book.
Posted Aug 25, 12 · OP
*looks over shoulder at room of books* I'll just stick with current and favorites. :p

I'm currently plowing through the Boba Fett comic Omnibus from Dark Horse to keep my bounty hunter in the right state of mind.

I just finished the second book in the Enforcer Omnibus from the Black Library. I have a ton of Warhammer 40k novels that I've read through as well.

My all time favorites are mysteries. Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Hardy Boys, you get the idea. :p SWTOR could use a bit more crime/mystery solving if you asked me.
White on my wasted path
Wave after wave in wrath
Frets 'gainst his fellow, warring where to send me.
Flung forward, heaved aside,
Whitless and dazed I bide
The mercy of the comber that shall end me.
Posted Aug 25, 12
Hineni wrote:
*looks over shoulder at room of books* I'll just stick with current and favorites. :p

I'm currently plowing through the Boba Fett comic Omnibus from Dark Horse to keep my bounty hunter in the right state of mind.

I just finished the second book in the Enforcer Omnibus from the Black Library. I have a ton of Warhammer 40k novels that I've read through as well.

My all time favorites are mysteries. Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Hardy Boys, you get the idea. :p SWTOR could use a bit more crime/mystery solving if you asked me.

Oh I loves me some mysteries! Sherlock Holmes is da bomb, obv. lol :p I haven't read any Nero Wolfe novels, but I have watched the show and I loved what I saw.
Posted Aug 26, 12 · OP
The Nero Wolfe novels are VERY hard to find, and super expensive on Amazon Kindle. They are great though. However, they are definitely old school, so there is a lot of language that would be taboo these days.

As for Sherlock, I loved the BBC series Sherlock, the old Adventures and Return of series from way back, and I see that Zero Cool himself will be in a new series called Elementary. :) I can't watch it though, or it will get cancelled. :(
White on my wasted path
Wave after wave in wrath
Frets 'gainst his fellow, warring where to send me.
Flung forward, heaved aside,
Whitless and dazed I bide
The mercy of the comber that shall end me.
Posted Aug 26, 12
Why do show's always get canceled when you like them and watch them?! It always happens!
Posted Aug 26, 12 · OP
Cal
First book ever read, my grandmother gave me ' King Arthur and his Knights ' based on ' Morte d' Arthur of Sir Thomas Malory'. The next three authors are very familiar each in their own way;

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

The Chronicles Trilogy
Dragons of Autumn Twilight (April 1984)
Dragons of Winter Night (April 1985)
Dragons of Spring Dawning (September 1985)

Legends
Time of the Twins (February 1986)
War of the Twins (May 1986)
Test of the Twins (August 1986)

Raymond E. Feist

The Riftwar Saga

Magician (1982),
later republished in two parts in the United States as Magician: Apprentice (1986) and Magician: Master (1986)
Silverthorn (1985)
A Darkness at Sethanon (1986)

The Empire Trilogy

Daughter of the Empire (1987) with Janny Wurts
Servant of the Empire (1990) with Janny Wurts
Mistress of the Empire (1992) with Janny Wurts

David Eddings

The Belgariad

Pawn of Prophecy (1982)
Queen of Sorcery (1982)
Magician's Gambit (1983)
Castle of Wizardry (1984)
Enchanters' End Game (1984)

The Malloreon series

Guardians of the West (1987)
King of the Murgos (1988)
Demon Lord of Karanda (1988)
Sorceress of Darshiva (1989)
The Seeress of Kell (1991)

Now each of these authors published more books concerning their ' worlds ' but these were the ones that started it all....

cal

Every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.
Posted Oct 15, 12 · Last edited Oct 15, 12
Hineni wrote:
The Nero Wolfe novels are VERY hard to find, and super expensive on Amazon Kindle.
I read them in Russian - loved them so much! I need to find them in English. Orchids! I love orchids!

I have been reading through the whole Discworld series. One of my favorite "meta" joys there is to see Pratchett develop as a writer. You know this amazing thing he does with little "sidetrack" comments? Well, in his first books these were like three-page side stories that tended to be boring (comparatively - it's still Pratchett after all), and dispersed readers' attention. Then he perfected that bug into a brilliant feature.

I keep reading and re-reading "Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars" trilogy. It gives me hope for the humanity, somehow.
DjekForumSig.png
Posted Oct 15, 12
Anything by Barbara Hambly. David Eddings is good, Tom Clancy is good, Julie Dean Smith, Anne MacAffery, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Azimov, Arthur C. Clarke, John Grisham (or he used to be until he started using his stories to be a more of a soapbox than a story)
Posted Oct 15, 12
Cal, sounds like you read a lot of the same stuff as I do. I mostly stick to Fantasy and some Sci-Fi.

R.A. Salvatore - Probably my favorite author
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
Harry Potter series
Wheel of Time series - I too get frustrated with the overabundance of detail.
Fablehaven series - This is more geared to young adults, but I still found it enjoyable. Real life/fantasy mix.
Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit - Side note, The Children of Huren by Tolkein was terribly depressing.
The Little Prince - A cute children's book I read in French class. I love the art.
Ender's Game
Dune
Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance books

I'm currently reading The Beyonders by Brandon Mull. The same guy that did the Fablehaven series. It reminds me a lot The Woods Out Back by R. A. Salvatore. A normal person gets magically transported to a different fantasy world that they have to save.

I'm also reading some awesome comic books. Batwoman, The Knights of the Old Republic series, and soon The Old Republic series once I'm done with the rest.

On a non-fiction note, I read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and absolutely loved it. The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell is an amazing read as well.
Ozz5gK.png
Posted Oct 16, 12
Page
of 15
NoticeNotices